Sitting in on my last Global Studies class today, a voice whispered to me…
One day you finally knew what you had to do and began,
though the voices around you kept shouting,
though the whole house trembled,
though the wind pried it’s stiff fingers around your very foundation,
though the melancholy was terrible.
Little by little you left their voices behind
and the stars began to burn through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice which you recognised as your own.
As you strode deeper and deeper into the world,
determined to do the only thing you could do-
determined to save the only life you could save.
Long live this journey!
– Sony Stark, Pregnant With Poetry
Sony Stark, New York-based videographer, has just returned from a 3-month trip shooting a documentary on Semester At Sea, an international education program best described as “university on a ship”. Through her trip, she posted articles about Vietnam, India, Myanmar, Mauritius Island, South Africa, Brazil, and Venezuela for GoNomad, a website promoting alternative ways of travelling. Besides those cities, she has also travelled to Hong Kong, China, Japan, Hawaii, San Francisco, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, NYC, and Quebec City. She is also currently working together with GoNomad to create a 13-episode series on adventure travel and volunteer work.
Her blog, which chronicles her trip as well as the rest of her travelling life, is at crossthatbridge, so if you’re curious about Semester at Sea, multi-country educational programs, or alternative travel in general, do pay her a visit.
It would be interesting to see the TV show once it airs; it sounds like Globe Trekker or Lonely Planet Six Degrees but with an altruistic, educational twist. Perhaps this will bring alternative travel-based education programs some much needed attention, awareness, and publicity.
Thank you to BlogHer for the tip!
Links in Post:
- crossthatbridge: Pregnant With Poetry
- SONY STARK – Videographer and Avid Editor
- Semester At Sea
- GoNOMAD.Com: Sony Visits Vietnam: Echoes of War in a Land of Peace
- GoNOMAD.Com: Visiting the Untouchables of India
- GoNOMAD.Com: Myanmar: Friendly, But Not Free
- GoNOMAD.Com: Mauritius: Sony’s Secret Island Paradise
- GoNOMAD.Com: South Africa: My Favourite Country So Far
- GoNOMAD.Com: Salvador, Brazil: My Second Port Of Call
- GoNOMAD.Com: Venezuela: First Stop on Sony’s World Tour
- Globe Trekker
- Lonely Planet Six Degrees
- BlogHer: Sony Stark