Imagine being online for 24 hours straight, updating a blog or website every half an hour. Imagine doing this for charity, any charity in the world. Imagine hundreds of bloggers around the world doing this every year at the same time.
WHAT IS THE BLOGATHON?
The Blogathon is a charity marathon event where people from around the world update their blogs at least once every half an hour for 24 hours straight. During those 24 hours they raise awareness of their chosen charity and aim to raise funds and collect pledges for it. Remember walkathons or charity marathons? Same concept, only online.
WHAT ARE BLOGS?
Blogs are a type of website that is usually often updated, with entries arranged in reverse chronological order (newest first). Many blogs allow for comments and discussion. Some are personal journals, some are news reporting, some are reviews, opinion pieces…the topics range from anything and everything.
WHAT IS UP WITH PEOPLE?
Up With People is a global education program based in Denver, CO, USA which aims to “bring the world together” – bringing young people from around the world on a world tour to learn about different cultures, work on various community service projects, learn about regional and international issues, gain leadership skills, and produce performances based on peace and understanding. A more extensive FAQ can be found here.
WHY THE BLOGATHON? WHY UP WITH PEOPLE?
I had participated in a similar Blogathon in 2004 for Amnesty International and enjoyed it; now that the opportunity is open I’d like to do it again! I travelled with Up With People in Fall 2005 and had the best time of my life. I really support what they’re doing and I’d love other people to get the chance to share the same.
HOW DO I HELP?
I need sponsors! Here’s how to sponsor me:
1. Go to http://blogathon.org/sponsor.php?blog_id=70 – that’s my Sponsor Me page. You’ll need to create an account; it’s free, and privacy is assured.
2. Decide whether you want to pledge a lump sum (for the whole 24 hours) or an hourly sum (for instance, $2/hour = $48 pledged by the end of the Blogathon). Pick your option and place your pledged amount. (Note: you’re not actually paying anyone yet. You can donate that amount to Up With People now if you wish, but you don’t pay me nor Blogathon a cent.)
3. You should be getting a confirmation email. Follow the instructions, and your pledge is recorded. (You’ll get a thank-you email soon after.)
4. On July 29th, come cheer us on – I’ll be blogging here at my alternative education blog, EducateDeviate. You don’t have to be up for the whole 24 hours, though we won’t stop you! I’ll be writing about alternative education as well as my Up With People experiences.
5. After those 24 hours, you will receive an email with your pledge amount and a link to the Up With People donations page. Place your donations there (by Paypal or by sending a cheque – the details are on that page). Donate DIRECTLY to Up With People; neither I nor the Blogathon site handle any donation money.
6. A month later you’ll receive a reminder email of your pledge, in case you haven’t donated yet. And you’ll get my eternal gratitude.
WHAT WILL YOU BE WRITING ABOUT?
My blog, EducateDeviate, is generally about alternative education – different, non-traditional ways of learning. For the Blogathon, I will be writing about alternative education and also about Up With People – my experiences, tips, ideas, and much more. You can also suggest topics to me if you want!
WHO DO I DONATE TO? YOU, BLOGATHON, OR UP WITH PEOPLE?
You donate DIRECTLY to Up With People. Neither I nor the Blogathon website handle any donation money.
WHEN DO I DONATE? NOW, DURING THE BLOGATHON, OR AFTER?
Most people record their pledges now and then donate after the Blogathon’s 24 hours. Some people pledge and donate during the Blogathon itself, and some donate before the event. It’s up to you. I do suggest that if you’re donating hourly that you want until the 24 hours are up to make sure I did complete the 24 hours!
HOW MUCH DO I DONATE? IS THERE A MINIMUM? WHICH CURRENCY?
It’s up to you. There are no minimum fees, though do take note that if you’re paying by Paypal, Paypal will usually take a small percentage as a processing fee. Any currency is fine though I think Up With People’s Paypal system takes US dollars.
HOW DO I DONATE?
You can donate through Paypal or by writing a cheque. Details are available at their Donate page.
I’D LIKE TO DONATE BUT I DON’T WANT TO SIGN UP AS A SPONSOR. CAN I?
Sure, definitely. Up With People collects donations year round. I just won’t be able to tell how much you donated for the Blogathon! If you’d like, you can contact me personally with your name and donation amount and I can register you as a proxy sponsorship. (You pay Up With People, I list your pledge.)
I’D LIKE TO HELP UP WITH PEOPLE; ARE THERE OTHER WAYS BESIDES MONEY?
Definitely! You can sign up as a potential student (application’s free!); you can donate supplies, venues, partnerships, and so on; and you can help spread the word. Their Donate page has plenty of ideas.
IS THIS AN OFFICIAL UP WITH PEOPLE EVENT?
No; it’s an unofficial fundraiser, not necessarily affiliated with Up With People (besides me being alumni). As far as I could tell they’re pretty keen on the idea though.
WHAT IF YOU CAN’T MAKE THE BLOGATHON?
If I can’t make or complete the Blogathon for any reason, I’ll notify and apologize to you personally. Whether you’d like to still donate or not is up to you.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER BLOGS/CHARITIES I CAN SPONSOR? CAN I BE A BLOGGER?
Certainly! Visit Blogathon.Org for more information on other bloggers, charities, and on being a blogger. You can sponsor more than one blogger.
I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS!
Please feel free to contact me with any queries, concerns, or comments. I’d love to hear from you.
Thank you so much and please spread the word!
Links in Post:
- Up With People
- EducateDeviate: All You Needed To Know About Up With People (And Then Some)
- Blogathon: Sponsor EducateDeviate for Up With People
- Up With People: Donate